Matthew A. Lesnick
Matt specializes in commercial bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency-related transactions and litigation. Matt represents clients in bankruptcy cases, out-of-court restructurings and litigation matters throughout the country. Matt has represented debtors and creditors in and out of bankruptcy, as well as creditors committees, secured lenders and agents for syndicated lending groups, secured and unsecured note holder and bond holder groups, bankruptcy trustees and acquirers of assets from troubled companies. He has also represented landlords, vendors, licensors and licensees of intellectual property, and other parties that have on-going business relationships with troubled companies.
Matt’s insolvency litigation experience includes both trial and appellate work. He has confirmed chapter 11 plans of reorganization on behalf of debtors and creditors committees, contested plans on behalf of creditors and equity holders, and litigated claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and bankruptcy avoidance powers. Matt also has extensive experience in general commercial litigation and creditors’ rights matters.
Matt was an equity partner in the Financial Restructuring Group and Financial Services and Insolvency Litigation Group at Bingham McCutchen LLP and its predecessor, McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enersen, LLP (now merged into Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP) until November 2005. He joined the McCutchen firm as an associate in its bankruptcy group in 1996. From 1994 to 1996, Matt served as law clerk to the Hon. Michael J. Kaplan, then Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the Western District of New York.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D. 1994
- Cornell University, AB 1990
Admissions, Court and Memberships:
- State Bar of California
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
- Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
- Financial Lawyers Conference
- Turnaround Management Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section
Awards and Honors:
- Named a “Super Lawyer” in the field of bankruptcy law in the Southern California survey published by Law & Politics magazine and Los Angeles magazine evey year since 2013 and a “Super Lawyer Rising Star” in bankruptcy every year from 2004 through 2009
- Peer-rated AV-Preeminent 5.0 out of 5.0 by Martindale-Hubbell/Lexis-Nexis
- Rated 9.7 out of 10 by Avvo.com
- Editor, Comparative Labor Law Journal, University of Pennsylvania.
- Speaker, Orange County Bar Association, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Section, on topic of bankruptcy issues in IP transactions
- Guest Lecturer, “Deals: Engineering Financial Transactions” (Prof. Fleischer), on topic of bankruptcy M&A transactions, UCLA Law School
- Guest Lecturer, “Patent Protection and Antitrust Restraints” (Prof. Schechter), on topic of bankruptcy issues in intellectual property licensing, Loyola Law School